Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fight Club: Support Group


I went to my first official Support Group meeting last night. I have been too meetings before but this one particular meeting was an actual support group meeting. You know, when you all sit in a circle and share your stories. (Why I am thinking of Fight Club?!?)

I sat there quietly to myself watching people come in and sit or be reunited with other fellow members. Gabbing and catching up. I felt out of place when I realized I am the youngest one there! I am not that young, but there was a noticeable difference in age between myself and those circled around. Most were my parents age or older. Where are the youngsters? Who am I going to relate to?

Totally to my surprise I was one of 3 people who were pre-surgery. Everyone else had bypass or banded. And all had the same doctor. Feeling a bit more comfortable at this time because a woman sat near me and asked me if I had the surgery done and how far out I was. When I told her I have mine scheduled for Monday (wholly cow) she seemed to lift her head a little bit more and stated that she had hers done 2 weeks ago. And this was her first meeting. Now I felt so much better knowing that I wasn't the only newbie in the group.

I sat thru the meeting, not really saying much just listening to testimonials and triumphs. Then it was over. So soon? I realized it went by so fast because I enjoyed myself and took mental notes of what the members were saying. Now I can truly see how Support Group meetings help people. Being able to relate to people going thru the same thing you are or can give advice to new comers is so worth going. I also think spouses or partners should go too. That way they can support you outside of these meetings day to day. Maybe even get a bit healthier on their own too.

So ultimately what I am trying to say is, if you have never gone to a Support Group meeting go at least once or a few times per year. I do agree that people who interact will be more successful. I mean, you have these people's brains to pick or use as cliff notes for your own life. I am for sure going next month when I am banded.

Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt in Fight Club 1999)
"Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: if someone yells "stop!", goes limp, or taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: the fights are bare knuckle. No shirt, no shoes, no weapons. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight. "

No comments:

Post a Comment