Friday, November 12, 2010

Trying for Results

I spun my ass away this week! I went twice to two spin classes. I was so burnt out after the second class. I went to one on Tuesday which is the one I usually go to. Lately it is with an instructor who I am not to fond of her instruction and how little she pushes her class. Then Wednesday.... I did tell you I was going to finally go to my coworkers' Spin class since she teaches it at the gym near work. I went and she is a little spit fire. She totally raises her voice, listens to fast pace music and takes very little breaks. The endurance in the class is amazing. I loved it. it kicked my ass but I loved it. I sweat so much I was dripping. She told me about a few of her repeat class members that all excel and train professionally for marathons, swim races, triathlons ... some of the women have accomplished a lot of great things in their fitness life. The girl who I sat next to on the bike swam 8 levels in a particular swim race recently and BEAT all the men in the race and placed first! AMAZING! Well guess who kept up with her pace.... ME! I kicked ass in the class and didn't look as if I was suffering like some of the other so-called fit girls. Talk about being motivated from my last post. Whoo hoo Yey me!


I notice a lot of blogs mention their doctors and I was curious how they chose them.  I chose my surgeon because he had a website about his clinic at a well know hospital. Honestly YES I DID!  Plus my insurance had listed him as an option. He is known as the father of laparoscopic gastric bypass: he performed the first laparoscopic gastric bypass in the world as primary surgeon in 1993. This was performed right here in San Diego, California. He is a great doctor and is very helpful.  I just wish he had been more aggressive with my fills, he is mainly a bypass surgeon and very little patients with gastric banding. Maybe that is why he was less aggressive with the fills. I think if I had this restriction sooner, my weight loss would of been more my first year. I am not blaming him at all - I just think being on the same level as the doctor is a must. So looking back and advise for future bandsters is that they need to do the research on the doctor and make sure their skills match your new planned life. This doctor will be your best friend for the following years, not just your surgeon on surgery day. Choose wisely. Do research on the doctor. Find a recommendation. Shop around.


I know I haven't been perfect everyday with what I eat but since my last post I have been REALLY trying to eat less thru the day and stopping myself from bringing more than what I need to eat to work with me. If I bring it - I will eat it. Trying to get away from eating less and making it thru the day. I have been drinking protein waters again in the afternoons. It has given me that little boost to not feel so starved before dinner. If I feel way hungry for dinner I end up eating too much and having a hard time sleeping since I ate too much. The food just sits in my stomach and it is hard for me to sleep after I eat. I am just reminding myself that we all did a whole month of liquids and we were fine - I can do better since I did that before.


I have to be accountable for my journey!
I can not push blame onto the band for the lack of weight loss!
I have to work with the band and eat less and drink more water!


I haven't weighted myself since Monday so maybe next week's main post I will see a little reward on the scale. Fingers crossed. 

3 comments:

  1. I work for a hospital and know the best surgeons. However, mine wasn't the most experienced but I connected with him and liked that he said he was very aggressive with his fills. He's kept true to his word and I have 8 ccs after 4 months. I can't imagine dealing with no restriction for months between fills. That must really suck. It must be a great feeling to keep up in such an advanced glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on the spinning, such an amazing workout! It sounds like you are having a great week.

    My choice of surgeon was based on insurance and location. Big mistake - I no longer see them. I am now with the office I should have been with in the first place. You are correct - newbies really need to do their research. The blog world is the perfect place - you can find people in your area and get first hand experiences! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news re: spin class. I keep meaning to get my butt to one and just haven't, now I am inspired to push myself to go at least once this week.

    I chose my surgeon based on cost and research and cost! He works out of Mexico and surgery here would have been about 18 K Canadian, about the same in US dollars, and $7900.00 in Mexico with the same results, success rate, etc. The big thing this surgeon lacked was aftercare. But I did my homework, got myself set up with someone here in advance to do fills and it's been good. I would do it again.

    Thanks for sharing about the class- so cool yu kept pace, I will be hoping I just stay on the damn bike!

    ReplyDelete